Not in the United Kingdom?
Choose another country to see content specific to your region.

The legal way to show movies and TV in a public or commercial space.

If you are showing TV programmes or movies in a public space then you need a special license on top of your TV Licence or TV subscription. This applies to shops, restaurants, bars, hotels, clubs, dentist rooms, car showrooms and even semi-public spaces like membership clubs, employee breakrooms or gyms.

© Marvel Entertainment Disney 2022

Who are MPLC?

MPLC has represented Hollywood studios like Disney, Universal, Paramount, Pixar, Marvel Studios and Dreamworks Animation for over 35 years. These studios, together with hundreds more independent film and TV producers, have appointed MPLC to collect licence revenue from non-theatrical venues – that’s the industry term for places that show movies and TV in public spaces but are not traditional cinemas. MPLC is now the largest non-theatrical TV and movie licensing company in the world.

MPLC was founded in 1985 by a former vice-president of Paramount Pictures and MGM. We now have offices in 28 countries with our headquarters split between the UK and USA. Our UK home is in Eastbourne Sussex, and in the USA we are based, as you might expect, in Los Angeles next to many of the Hollywood studios that we represent.

Nearly 150 people work for MPLC, most of them dedicating their time to explaining to businesses the need to become licensed and then making that affordable, easy and quick.

What is a public performance licence?

Copyright law makes a distinction between “private performance” (e.g., home viewing) and “public performance”. Public performance is where a movie or TV programme is shown in a place where members of the public could see it outside of their own home.

This includes bars and restaurants, hotel rooms, offices and car dealerships, dental surgeries, doctor’s waiting rooms, staff areas even community venues and members-only places and clubs. A public performance licence, available here quickly and affordably, buys you the rights to show TV and movie content to your customers, members or staff. The Hollywood and other studios who created the TV and movie programmes get paid from the licence revenue that we collect for them and that supports thousands of jobs and ongoing creativity.

Who needs a licence?

Almost any business or organisation with a TV screen showing movies or TV programmes in a public space will need a licence. It doesn’t matter how you get your programmes – DVD, Blu-ray, download or streaming, broadcast, terrestrial, cable, or satellite television – it is the programme that needs to be licensed rather than the way you get it.

This might be new information for you, but licences are designed to be quick, easy and affordable.

When you buy a licence from MPLC you are ensuring your business is compliant, removing the risk of prosecution and paying your contribution to the production costs of the content you are using.

But don’t worry, licences are very affordable, easy to buy and can be in place immediately.

Meet our Senior Team

Supporting content creators

At MPLC, we’re passionate about supporting the entertainment industry and helping fund great content. Great content is only possible if creators are paid for the content they produce, so we collect royalties on behalf of our rights holders and ensure they are paid for their work.

And the studios we represent

For over 30 years we have partnered with the world’s most recognised and prestigious Hollywood studios and hundreds of independent producers and content creators worldwide. Together we have deep partnerships and long standing relationships. These studios trust us to collect the royalties they are entitled to and they trust us to behave responsibly and be a respectful guardian for and extension of their brand.

Your questions answered

We’re here for you…

  • Is MPLC a legitimate organisation?
    We understand that if you have not heard of MPLC before you will want to be sure we are a legitimate organisation. We have been working with and representing the major copyright holders including major Hollywood studios and local producers for over 30 years. We have contracts with them, you can r…
  • My licence has expired or is due to expire. How do I renew it?
    If you could please contact us through our Support Contact Form with you last licence or invoice number (if you know it). We will then ensure your licensed is renewed and you stay legal.…
  • How can I change my organisation’s address or other business details?
    Just send us a request through our Support Contact Form with your licence or last invoice number if you know it and the details you would like to change and we'll make the changes for you.…
  • I have lost or didn’t receive my licence. How can I get a new copy?
    No worries. Just send us a request through our Support Contact Form and we will find your licence and send it to you by email.…
  • Where can I see a list of all of the studios, rightsholders and producers that MPLC represents?
    You can find a full list of all the rights holders and producers that we represent here on this website.…
  • I need a copy of an invoice
    For a copy of your last or any other invoice you an use our Customer Support form and we'll send you one straight away.…
  • How long does an MPLC licence last for?
    An MPLC Public Performance Licence allows you to show all the licensed movies and TV content you want in your business or commercial setting for a period of one year. You don't need to tell us which movies or programmes you plan to show. Towards the end of the year we will contact you to renew…
  • How much does an MPLC Public Performance Licence cost?
    The MPLC Public Performance Licence is a simple, affordable annual fee. You don't need to tell us which movies you are showing or watching, there is no ongoing reporting or admin paperwork. The cost of a license depends on : What sector or industry you are in How big your premises are H…
  • What is an Umbrella Licence?
    The term "Umbrella Licence" is another, older name for the MPLC Public Performance Licence. We are changing the name in 2023 to make things simpler to understand. There is only one licence though and there is no difference between an Umbrella Licence and an MPLC Public Performance Licence. You …

Our Partners

MPLC works closely with leading institutions to support intellectual property rights. Along with our partners, we educate organisations about copyright and the importance of compliance.